EPS 38: Seahawks Come Up Short
Seahawks Come Up Short
Hawks Playbook Podcast Episode 38
Hawks Playbook Podcast Episode 38 – Seahawks come up short
Open: Hey Seahawks fans! Welcome back into another episode of the Hawks Playbook Podcast featuring Seattle Seahawks sports writer and football analyst, Keith Myers. I’m your host Bill Alvstad, and we are here each week to breakdown the wins…and yes, the losses for your favorite team. This week, the Seahawks come up short (literally) in the home loss to the Atlanta Falcons. Other than the two major turnover mistakes the Seahawks made, this game was a fun game to watch. But a loss is a loss, and when you’re fighting to get into the playoffs, it’s as tough as they get.
In the News:
- New Hawks Playbook Podcast subscription feed. Keith will explain. Basically, what we need you to do is cancel your current subscription on your podcast player of choice and then re-subscribe to the show that uses our most current podcast feed. The way that we publish the show in the background dictated that we make this one-time change. We currently publish both feeds, but will permanently switch to the new feed after the first of the year.
- Injury updates: As of Tuesday afternoon, Mike Davis has a groin injury and is likely out vs. San Fransisco. In addition Shaq Griffin, who suffered a concussion against Atlanta is in the league mandated concussion protocol and it will be determined later this week whether he’ll travel with the team and play.
Featured Segment One:
This loss to the Atlanta Falcons will hurt for a while. In a game that Seattle won on stats alone, it lost because it did not take care of the football that led directly to Atlanta points, which was the difference in this game. You can point to the Blair Walsh fake attempt and the miss at the end as the reasons we lost, but that would be missing the point…pun intended. 🙂
- Last night was Russell Wilson’s 5th game with 250+ pass yards, 50+ rush yards, and 1 pass & rush TD. He’s the second player in NFL history to have five of those. (PFR)
- Tyler Lockett records career-high 197 kick return yards
- Russell Wilson rushed 7 times for 86 yards and threw for 258 yards and TD’s. The other 3 running backs totaled 50 yards on 16 carries.
- Coaching decisions may have cost the team a victory Monday night. The fake field goal in an attempt to score a rushing touchdown from the 25 yards line via Luke Willson. As well as burning a time out on the Doug Baldwin non-catch in the 4th quarter. Carroll said of the fake attempt: “It would have been a great call if it had worked”. Yep coach.
- Atlanta converts 9 of 14 3rd down plays on the night.
- We are paying Eddie Lacy almost 4 million a year to play about 6 snaps a game.
Featured Segment Two:
The Seattle Seahawks head to Levi’s Stadium located in Santa Clara, California next Sunday. It’s the Seahawks last remaining road game in the division. Seattle will face the 1-9 49ers that are in the beginning of a long and extensive rebuild headed by General Manager John Lynch, and Head Coach Kyle Shanahan. Lynch believes he may have gone out an found his franchise quarter back of the future in New England Patriots back up, Jimmy Garoppolo. That remains to be seen, but if the rumors are true, he may in fact get to start that journey this week as San Francisco looks to start him against the Seahawks.
- The 49ers have a few budding stars on defense (such as: DeForest Buckner, Arik Armistead, Reuben Foster, Solomon Thomas and Ahkello Witherspoon) to build on, but their offense is void of talent.
- 49ers defense is allowing 26 points per game – ranked 29th, while averaging 17.4 points per game on offense – ranked 28th. They are ranked 31st in rushing yards allowed (133.5 yds) per game.
Close: Thanks once again for joining Bill and Keith on the Hawks Playbook Podcast. Remember, if you’re already a subscriber, we need you to act regarding your subscription. You will need to cancel your current Hawks Playbook Podcast feed subscription and then re-subscribe to the podcast to get the new feed that we have switched to. If you have made that change in the last two weeks, you’re good to go. If you listen on the website, you will not need to change anything. Thanks again and we will be right back here next week!
Bill and Keith.